Re: [gundam] More MG news

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:50:30 -0800

Eddie writes,

>This is lame! Instead of giving them the proper respect in 1/100 scale MG
>glory, they are rudely shoveled to the 1/144 HG bin! I guess Japan's
>economy is SERIOUSLY hurting now!

  What are the odds of these ever seeing an MG release, though? The
Guncannon and Gann are cute, but not necessarily popular enough to
justify MG treatment. Frankly, after doing the no-brainers like the
Gundam, Z Gundam, Mk. II, Zaku, Gelgoog, et al. the line may be getting
tapped out. The rest of the mobile suits that are beloved enough to get
this treatment - The O, the Qubeley, the Sazabi - would be too friggin'
expensive.

  Frankly, after doing the Type 100 and ZZ - to complete the Gundam Team
- I wouldn't be surprised to see the MG line winding down. The new 1/144
line means we'll still have nice kits of classic mobile suits to look
forward to.

>All three? You got to be kidding me. I can't see Bandai resisting the idea
>of packaing each of the 3 pilots in a different box so otakus will have to
>buy 3 such kits!

  Bitter much? ;-)

>Weird... I think the Zaku I is getting a bunch of accesories it shouldn't
>have at all. The only reason it got all these toys was because Bandai had
>to give us some reason to buy the kit.

  Hey, last week you were complaining because it wouldn't have any
accessories...

>Interesting... no G3 or 78-1 armor still?!

  The G-3 is physically identical, just differently colored. A Prototype
Gundam set would be neat, though... let alone a Full Armor.

Chien Ting Chin writes,

>I wonder if this new
>design will allow the Guncannon to go to the "fire from hands-and-knees"
>pose that Amuro used so effectively when he fended off Ranba Ral.

  Maybe so. I'm sure it'll be quite poseable - Katoki always figures this
into his designs.

>Gann is a good choice too. If they are really doing what I have in mind,
>the next few should be: Jiong, Zugock, Guntank. Those should sell like
>hot cakes because they are popular designs that had never seen a good
>model.

  Sounds reasonable - especially the Zugok. I wouldn't be surprised to
see the Acguy too, another design beloved by the Japanese fans.

Probe writes,

On Mar 24, 1999, Prabal Nandy <nandy@U.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

> Wierd how this color variation took so long to come out. I heard the
>Zak-R's didn't really sell that well though?

  Beats me. I like 'em well enough, even if they made no attempt to color
'em correctly...

> Very interesting, so they're making up for its plainness with weapons,
>it's nice to see that they're going back to the original-MG megaweapon
>style. I was getting kinda dissappointed with the minimalistic props and
>weapons included with later MGs!

  Well, the GM has a pretty good assortment - more options than the MG
Gundam, in fact.

> Like the anniversary gundams!
> I wonder if this means it's going to be a "Limited Edition" kit?

  No, but it may be a new feature for the non-limited edition line.

> Wow, that's a _slow_ release schedule isn't it?

  Maybe they don't have a lot of mobile suits to begin with. But I must
say, the Flat and WoDom are pretty darned cool in animation line art form
- I'd buy 'em.

> Hmm, a little sparse for $30+ isn't it? I mean, just four weapons for
>the price of a MG kit?

  The previous custom set was an even bigger ripoff. Guess that's the
side effect of doing stuff in such limited numbers.

> Hey, thanks for the report! Those MG-ized classic reissues really
>sparked my day! Hey, think they'll do some of the 'modernized' versions of
>mecha, like some of the 0083 designs?

  Crystal ball is murky. It would be nice, though...

-- Mark