Re: [gundam] ...and next MG is...!

Mark Kuettner (mkuett@hotmail.com)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 02:24:07 PST

>>This will be pretty interesting. The Zak-I seems like total nostalgia
>>marketing.
>
>Excuse me? I thought that's what the MG line was all about. Otherwise
>they would have released MG Gundam X, X-DV, XX, Airmaster, Wing... and
>even Turn A!

Updated nostalgia was what the MG STOOD for, early on, to me. Giving
the RX-78 and Zaku a new look, but still recognizable. Katoki's take
on the Zeta is another example, and the 0083 MG kits were not exactly
nostalgia.
But now it just seems a matter of making MG versions of the anime
designs, or the original 70's and 80's 1/100 kits. Less updating,
less suprises. It narrows the market.

>>I think there's going to be a pretty big backlash on this
>>one with the younger MG audience, especially after Bandai refused to
>>put out a seperate MG G-defensor kit for those people who bought the
>>MK-II.
>
>Maybe they did have an exchange for credit program in Japan, but
obviously
>that offer is not made to gaijins. ;)

Goofy. Bandai should show us a little bit more respect (hah!).

>>There must be some kind of logic to all these odd MG releases
>>...yes, money has a great deal to do with it, but for a huge merchan-
>>dising line like the MG kits, it has been less than predictable
>>compared to most of the other Gundam lines in Bandai's history.
>>Bandai seems to be playing way safe with their MG releases right now,
>>which tells me there could be some trouble for future releases.
>
>If the Zeta MG did lose money as someone claimed, what we're seeing now
>makes total sense. You get burned releasing cool, innovative MG kits,
>you won't play fire again for a while.

Recycling kits over and over is a slow death too. Don't get me wrong,
I happy for the long-time fans that thought they would never see these
kits. I just get the feeling the younger collecters are really start-
ing to get the "been there, done that" feeling and are ready to move
on...maybe from Gundam...

>>Just the fact we have not seen the MG ZZ or MG GP03 by now is not a
>>good sign.
>
>Well, if you remember all the "conversions" from pictures of last
year's
>trade show in Japan, both the GM and the MS-05 Zaku were in display, so
>their being made into MG kits shouldn't be any suprise. Now the only
>"conversion" that hasn't been announced as a MG kit would be that
Gelgoog
>variant with the bigass shoulders from ZZ... what was it called again?
>It was the MS-14J.
>
>Eddie

It would be nice to get a few variants of the RX-78 MG yet; the RX-78
Perfect Gundam MG variant from Gundam Weapons 5 would be a incredible
kit, as would the FA-78 kit of the same book.

Mark Kai