Re: [gundam] Find Out What The Future Holds For You?

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy, Far, Far Away.... (devillin@juno.com)
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:42:58 -0500

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:11:23 -0800 "Y. Choe" <choey@usa.net> writes:
>> Is it my imagination or did someone sold the Gundam Mailing list
address
>> to an advertisement list?
>
>(as I have several mail addresses, and I know for the fact that
Majordomo
>don't like em at all). However, spam COMING FROM THE MEMBERS
>THEMSELVES are another concern.

That is exactly the problem that we are facing now. Somehow or another,
several spammers have managed to subscribe themselves to this mailing
list. That is why we have suddenly been getting a string of one or two
line
spams to several different message threads. The list has also managed to
get itself on several spam mailinglists. The same thing happened to the
Moderator's Mailinglists a while back. The way to solve this list's
problem
is the same way our's was solved. The mailing list should be set to
accept
only messages from mailinglist members, and it should be set to only
accept messages that are addressed to the list in either the To: line or
the
CC: line. Anything else should be bounced. The second solution should be
relatively easy. The first one will be a bit harder because the current
members
list would have to screened and have all of the dead accounts and
non-responsive
accounts deleted. The quickest, easiest way to do this would be for the
list
owner to send a short form letter to everyone on the list that basically
states:

You are currently listed as being a subscriber to the Gundam Mailing
List. We
are undergoing revamping of our membership list. If you wish to remain a
member of this list, please respond to this letter within 4 days. If you
do not
respond within 4 days, you will be automatically deleted from the
membership
list and will have to resubscribe. If you do not know how to resubscribe,
please
write me back with your request, and I will send you instructions on how
subscribe to the Gundam Mailing List. Thank You.

>IF I were David (admin of list), I would considering blocking all free
>e-mail portals (hotmail, usa.net, geo$c$ities, juno.com, etc.) as they
seem
>to be the new source of most of these spams... But then again, that's
just
>me.

Actually, this is the worst idea anyone has ever come up with. It would
solve
none of the problem, and just end up pissing off a lot of innocent
people.
Just so that you know, the majority of spam rarely comes from the "free"
services anyway. Almost all of them have very stronge policies against
letting
people spam from their accounts, and GeoCities even goes so far as
blocking
you from sending mail through them if you aren't a member on their
service
and if you don't download your mail first. The spam is coming from
throwaway
accounts based out of servers in Taiwan, China, Japan, and Europe. If you
want to take your annoyance out on something, I suggest that you try
these
services first.

--
Linwood Foster,   The_Sentinel@Gundam.Com
3 of 10, Rec.Games.Mecha Moderation Team

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866] - Gundam Mailing List Archives are available at http://gundam.aeug.org/