Re: [gundam] ...and next MG is...!

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:30:22 -0700 (MST)

> All I can say is that I've always wanted an MG Zaku I, and I'm glad
> Bandai's doing one. And yes, it's less trouble than doing any more GMs, in

  Hrmm... There was a 'stage' in building my Zak-II where I left off the
cables and the shoulder armors and pretended it was a Zak-I for awhile,
but you've gotta admit, it's a very plain looking robot.

> large part because Okawara bungled the Gundam base design so badly that
> it's almost impossible to reconcile the MG Gundam parts with any of the
> known GM variants.

  Yeah, it is pretty funky looking now isn't it, too bad! Even with all
new armor? Is it because it's so darned skinny?

> every part of the mobile suit's body is changed. The Desert Zaku at least
> has the same arms, thighs and feet, and the head and torso are only
> slightly altered. By the same token, the Gouf would require radical

  And it has some seriously cool weaponry!

> reworking - only the feet and upper arms could be recycled - but I suspect
> Bandai would make the effort...

  Certainly, especially since it seems to be significantly more popular
than the Zak-I of all things!
  I guess what really gets me about the Zak-I is that I can't see Bandai
doing anything _new_ with it. The Gundam was the first MG, the Zaku-II had
spring cables and moving monoeyes, the Zeta transformed, the Gelgoog had
cool internal piping made of cloth, the Mk.II had working pistons and
fully removable armor segments, and then we had variants, but every new
design had some kind of new modelling gimmick which made it unique.

  But the Zak-I? What could they possibly do with it that hasn't already
been done with the Zak MGs?

> >from this ML built their MG GM yet? Is it good?
> Can't speak to sales, but I built mine and I love it. Then again, I'm
> into the classic series nostalgia kick.

  Excellent, well, I've always loved the GM. Is it anywhere near as
flexible as the Mk.II? Is the core-block cool?

> P.S. What gets me is the PG Zaku. Katoki did a great job reworking the
> Gundam, but the PG Zaku is just the MG version writ large; all they did was
> correct the cockpit and fix the machine gun. Ah well, saves me $200...!

  So that pic on the HLJ site _really_ is the real deal? Yeah, it looks
EXACTLY like the MG, just a little more flexible! Grr! I was hoping that
they would do it in 0083 Zaku-F2 style!

                                                                -Probe