Re: [gundam] gundam prototypes

Djallel Zouita (d.zouita@wanadoo.fr)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:57:30 +0100

Der UberHanyok wrote:

> a quick question about these things. The GP01 had two versions, the normal
> and the full-vernian, and they were both called "Zephyranthes", right? Then
> the GP02A was the "Physalis" and the GP03 was...? The gundam itself was
> called "Dendrobium", yes? Or is it correctly referred to as "Dendrobium
> Stamen", whereas that big-ass armor thing is "Dendrobium Orchis"? Or would I
> just be correct in calling it "Dendrobium"?

I think you understood it: Unit 3 is called Dendrobium whatever its
form. The "tiny" MS alone is called Dendrobium Stamen, while that big
chunky thing is called "Dendrobium Orchis" (that weapon base is in fact
the Orchis platform). But I guess the "Orchis" may be omitted: the
Dendrobium Orchis is RX-78GP03 while the Stamen is RX-78GP03S, so if you
just say Dendrobium, it implies you're reffering to the big thing or to
Unit 3 in general.
(Now correct me if I'm wrong of course)

> And who came up with these names anyway? Are they AE code-names or something
> Bandai did since they "own" gundam or however that business deal is?

It's likely Anaheim Electronics Engineers came up with them. They are
all related to flowers in a way. I won't get too extensive on that one,
it's pretty well detailed in Kota's GML archive, you might want to check
it, there are lots of interesting stuff.

--
Djallel Zouita