Re: [gundam] The economics of the Universal century

Doc (figureight@pacific.net.ph)
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:08:08 +0800

Thanks for the reference. I've actually been to your page several times
before and many of my questions take their cue from the data taken from
your webpage (and Mark Simmons').

>Getting to and from the surface of the Earth is a very expensive
>process relative to travelling along the Moon's orbit.

Which is actually the bottom line, the laws of physics create a natural
trade barrier between the earth and its colonies. The Sides would profit
more by trading between themselves than with the earth itself.

>In UC 0067, the Federation was faced with a motion
>for colonial autonomy by the entire Side 3, which it rejected.

Given the theory that a civilization's economic base determines its
social and political structure--the Federation would had to have solid
administrative support from the Sides to be able to maintain adequate
control (and be able to effectively impose trade sanctions). But the
very bureaucratic and corrupt nature of the Federation as implied in
Gundam contradicts this.

This casts the Federation's ability to govern in a different light.
Rather than be diehard constituents, I'd say colonial administrators
simply pay lip service to Federation dictates (just to keep the nosy
Feds off their backs than anything else).

The larger corporations (e.g. Anaheim, Colony Corp, PCST, JEF), small
nations in their own right, hold enough economic sway to influence
politics in the Gundam World (cf. Z Gundam, F91). These corporations
most probably derive their revenue from off-world sources. This further
diminishes the Federation's leverage.

Unless the Sides (and other factions who prefer to remain neutral) stand
to benefit in some way by maintaining their earthbound loyalties.