Re: [OT] Zoid (was Re: [gundam] **1:48** Gundam Mk.II!)

Kota Fujimura (fujimura+@MAIL1.ANDREW.CMU.EDU)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 10:34:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 07:32:26 -0700 (MST) Prabal Nandy
<nandy@U.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

> > This toy/model, if you never seen it, was a modeller's dream come true.
> > While it kept the appearance of the model of animal/dinosaur armed to the
> > teeth, it also moved with cool gimmicks, either by eletric motor or wind
> > ups. I've seen some diolamas/heavy modifications done to this series, and
> > least to say, it was amazing. Tomy used to publish a book called "Zoid
> > History" every year, which told the story with diolamas, and kitbashes.
>
> And don't forget that there were three or four 'waves' of Zoid toys that
> came through the US and Japan, each wave more sophisticated and cooler
> than the last! The last wave came through about 5 years ago and was called
> "Technozoids" and had some really neat little robots, including a way cool
> scorpion, alligator, iguana, brontosaurus and others.

Hmm, I don't know about what happened in US, but the last wave in Japan
was the final battle between Republic, which is lead by transforming
Tyrannosaurus Zoid, and Empire of Dark Continent, which featured glow
in the dark parts, re-fitted classic Triceletops and others, and Wyvern
type Zoid with chainsaw in wings.

> A pity they never tried to do something more humaniform, but on the
> other hand, it means we got some really kick-butt robo-animals, which are
> just too cool!

Exactly! I loved "Dibison" with its 16 cannons above its head! And I
believe there was a Zoid called "Gunblaster", which had so much guns in
its back it could overpower Orchis!

> Speaking of animals and robots and Gundam-Sentinel, has anyone seen the
> _new Japanese line of beast wars toys?

I had a chance to see Beast Wars II when I was in Japan two month ago...

> There is a transforming giraffe called "Longrack" and in his robot mode
> I think you'll see alot of the components of one of our favorite gundam
> robots! Take a look at the chest, head, arms/shoulders, legs, and the feet
> should be a dead giveaway!

Hmm, I kinda recall seeing him, but I believe he didn't get much
spotlight.

one is extremely well done.