[OT] Zoid (was Re: [gundam] **1:48** Gundam Mk.II!)

Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 06:15:00 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Justin Palmer wrote:

> How about this? Maybe Bandai should introduce a Zoids like
> Gundam kit line? (Tomy did something like this with Z-Knights). Wind Up
> Gundam, anyone? ^_^

OH MY GOD! SOMEONE REMEMBERS ZOID!

Sorry for the shouting, but I used to love ZOID, after I got Iron Kong
for Christmas when I was 3rd Grade. Ah, my dear old pals, Ultrasaurus,
Bear Fighter, Iron Kong... When I came to US, however, it pretty much
died in Japan. Quite a shame, especially this soothed my mecha craving
while Gundam was off the air except for re-runs.

This toy/model, if you never seen it, was a modeller's dream come true.
While it kept the appearance of the model of animal/dinosaur armed to the
teeth, it also moved with cool gimmicks, either by eletric motor or wind
ups. I've seen some diolamas/heavy modifications done to this series, and
least to say, it was amazing. Tomy used to publish a book called "Zoid
History" every year, which told the story with diolamas, and kitbashes.

If not mimicking ZOID, they should at least do something similar to "ZOID
History". I believe somewhat similar thing was done with "Sentinel", but
I wanna see more. (Yeah, depending on the scene, it'll require to "break"
 the model, but hey, that's what Photoshop is for.)

Kota