Re: [gundam] Happy 99

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 18:21:56 -0800

At 05:57 3/18/99 -0800, you wrote:
>I am still getting Happy 99 from people. Luckily I am using a Mac, so the
>exe file came as garbage. I can't seem to convince this technophobe to
>"cure" herself. Does Happy 99 actually harm your computer in anyway, or
>does it simply reproduce and distribute itself to other computers without
>any harmful consequences (i.e. hard disk format, file corruption, etc.)?

Insofar as I've seen, there's no payload -- THIS time.

It simply replicates itself silently and spreads like the devil because the
people being used a mules aren't aware of it.

This may simply be a test of the vector, with something nastier to come
later, so remember: NEVER run an executable from an unknown source. Period.

Here's the official word from the Symantec Anti-Virus Center (SARC):

Happy99.Worm
VirusName: Happy99.Worm
Aliases: Trojan.Happy99, I-Worm.Happy
Likelihood: Common
Region Reported: World Wide
Characteristics: Trojan Horse, Worm

This is a worm program, NOT a virus. This program has reportedly been
received through email spamming and USENET newsgroup posting. The file is
usually named HAPPY99.EXE in the email or article attachment.

When being executed, the program also opens a window entitled "Happy New
Year 1999 !!" showing a firework display to disguise its other actions. The
program copies itself as SKA.EXE and extracts a DLL that it carries as
SKA.DLL into WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory. It also modifies WSOCK32.DLL in
WINDOWS\SYSTEM directory and copies the original WSOCK32.DLL into WSOCK32.SKA.

WSOCK32.DLL handles internet-connectivity in Windows 95 and 98. The
modification to WSOCK32.DLL allows the worm routine to be triggered when a
connect or send activity is detected. When such online activity occurs, the
modified code loads the worm's SKA.DLL. This SKA.DLL creates a new email or
a new article with UUENCODED HAPPY99.EXE inserted into the email or
article. It then sends this email or posts this article.

If WSOCK32.DLL is in use when the worm tries to modify it (i.e. a user is
online), the worm adds a registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce=SKA.EXE

The registry entry loads the worm the next time Windows start.

Removing the worm manually:

1. delete WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SKA.EXE
2. delete WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SKA.DLL
3. in WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ directory, rename WSOCK32.DLL to WSOCK32.BAK
4. in WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ directory, rename WSOCK32.SKA to WSOCK32.DLL
5. delete the downloaded file, usually named HAPPY99.EXE

Windows prevents you to do step #3 and #4 above if the machine is still
connected to the Internet. The file "windows\system\wsock32.dll" is used
whenever the machine is connected to Internet (i.e. through dial-up or LAN
connection).

If you are using dial-up connection (i.e. America Online), you need to do
the following:

1. terminate internet connection
2. delete WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SKA.EXE
3. delete WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SKA.DLL
4. in WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ directory, rename WSOCK32.DLL to WSOCK32.BAK
5. in WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ directory, rename WSOCK32.SKA to WSOCK32.DLL
6. delete the downloaded file, usually named HAPPY99.EXE

If you are connected to Internet through LAN (i.e. in the office or cable
modem), you need to do the following:

1. From the Start menu, select shutdown-restart in MS DOS mode
2. type CD \windows\system when DOS prompt (C:\)appears
3. type RENAME WSOCK32.DLL WSOCK32.BAK
4. type RENAME WSOCK32.SKA WSOCK32.DLL
5. type DEL SKA.EXE
6. type DEL SKA.DLL

Safe Computing:

This worm and other trojan-horse type programs demonstrate the need to
practice safe computing. One should not execute any executable-file
attachment (EXE, SHS, MS Word or MS Excel file) that comes from an email or
a newsgroup article from an untrusted source.

Norton AntiVirus will detect and delete this sucker automatically, provided
you have a current set of virus definitions.

-Z-