Re: [gundam] Newtype detection and assay

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:12:45 -0700 (MST)

> Throughout the original series, Amuro is tagged as a Newtype because no one
> can explain how he does what he does any other way. No one knows what

  And that's really all that we really KNOW about "Newtype". It's just a
different kind of person. Obviously it's not just psychic powers, and just
as obviously it's not 'the next step in evolution' and just as obviously,
it's not tied to anything _biological_ about the person. So it's more of
a psychological _condition_ than a physical reality, which is what makes
it so elusive!

> Lalar Sun was identified as a Newtype by Anton Flanagan himself. How he
> made this determination is never revealed. Since Psycommu operates under
> the direction of Newtypes and Flanagan built the Psycommu, we can safely
> deduce that whatever mechanism the Psycommu uses to operate the Bits
> qualifies as a Newtype detector.

  See my coming Gundam Fanfic "Flanagan's Conspiracy" to find out more
about (my theories about) this and other NT-ness!

> It's also suggested that *everyone* is Newtype to some degree, but that
> most have yet to "awaken" to this fact and develop their Newtype potential.

  Which is about the only fruitful idea to come out of Gundam-X, further
weakened though by the fact that GX is a UC-wannabe show.

                                                                -Probe