Re: [gundam] Lost In The Translation

Enigma298@aol.com
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 21:12:06 EST

In a message dated 16/03/99 00:20:56 GMT Standard Time, nandy@U.Arizona.EDU
writes:

> I've heard quite a lot of people complain that _english_ is almost
> impossible to translate properly into other languages, simply because of
> how idiomatic it is, how many veiled references and connotations go into
> its speech.

I think this is probably symptomatic of attempting to translate many "eastern"
languages to latin-based western languages. Certainly, when I compare Thai
translations to English translations of various anime, the dialogue seems to
run much more smoothly in Thai, whereas it can come across as cheesy in
English.

Maybe we orientals are just overly dramatic ? :)

Shane.