Re: [gundam] Lost In The Translation

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 17:20:03 -0700 (MST)

> But then, could it be Japanese is just a tough language to translate?

  Into what?
  I've heard quite a lot of people complain that _english_ is almost
impossible to translate properly into other languages, simply because of
how idiomatic it is, how many veiled references and connotations go into
its speech.

> Many key things are left un-said, and words always seem to mean something
> else. Yes Chinese can be critized the same way, but it seems to me
> there's more success in translating Chinese than Japanese.

  Well, there also seems to be alot more translated Chinese _material_ out
there for some reason.

> Another random thought: I prefer subbed tapes because i get a kick out of
> catching a whole Japanese sentence consisting of ONLY bastardized Chinese,
> English and sometimes Germen.

  GRIN!
                                                                -Probe