Re: [gundam] Lost In The Translation

Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:12:31 -0500

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, -Z- wrote:
> There are, as I've noted in the past, translations and interpretations.

Very well written, and almost completely right! But you have mis-used the
words 'translation' and 'interpretation'. The proper meaning of
translation is WHAT YOU CALLED INTERPRETATION. The proper meaning of
interpretation is live translation used in mixed language conversation,
e.g. in diplomatic missions.

I don't know if there's a term for the word-for-word or sentence-for-
sentence translation that you were talking about. I can only suggest you
use 'bad translation' where you said 'translation' and 'good translation'
where you said 'interpretation'.

Oh yes, bad translation really really bites.

But then, could it be Japanese is just a tough language to translate?
Many key things are left un-said, and words always seem to mean something
else. Yes Chinese can be critized the same way, but it seems to me
there's more success in translating Chinese than Japanese.

Another random thought: I prefer subbed tapes because i get a kick out of
catching a whole Japanese sentence consisting of ONLY bastardized Chinese,
English and sometimes Germen.

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble