Re: [gundam] Lost In The Translation

Woo Lee (leew5@stuy.edu)
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:37:56 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Der UberHanyok wrote:

> >You can't just translate Shakespeare into Japanese or Murasaki into
> >English. You have to interpret them. Something will always be lost, some
> >things will always have to be explained in lengthy annotations, but an
> >adaptation of the original that captures the essence of the original and
> >sings in the language to which it's interpreted is better than a verbatim
> >rendering of foreign words.
>
> that's one of the reasons I'm taking a japanese class next semester...
> subtitles only tell what's being said, not what's being _said_... better
> than dubbed tho.

Well good luck! ^^ Its harder for a non-asain like yourself to learn
Japanese so expect lots of Difficulty early on..if you tend to watch lots
of anime it'll speed up your education by quite a bit...but dont expect to
understand much Japanese until your 3rd year or so. If you ever do get
to the point of Good-Excellent Understanding of the language, you'll see
that most sub-titles dont do the dialog justice..except for certain cases
that is ^^