Re: [gundam] Lost In The Translation

Der UberHanyok (mhanyo1@umbc.edu)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 22:34:05 -0500

>You can't just translate Shakespeare into Japanese or Murasaki into
>English. You have to interpret them. Something will always be lost, some
>things will always have to be explained in lengthy annotations, but an
>adaptation of the original that captures the essence of the original and
>sings in the language to which it's interpreted is better than a verbatim
>rendering of foreign words.

that's one of the reasons I'm taking a japanese class next semester...
subtitles only tell what's being said, not what's being _said_... better
than dubbed tho.

Matt "ruler of nothing that he surveys" Hanyok
mhanyo1@umbc.edu
"Why, then 'tis none to you, for there is nothing either good or bad but
thinking makes it so." - Hamlet