Re: [gundam] Mobile suit mechanics

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 09:10:34 -0700 (MST)

> kneeling, or beam saber fighting, I would think that the MS would make the
> appropriate moves as it (and the pilot) saw fit. This would explain hoe
> children can pilot MS's by simply reading its manual.

  Yep, all they need to do is turn it on, and the software takes over, eh?
It's believable, if only for the fact that modern avionics software is
rapidly making even old aircraft easier and easier to fly.

> The weapons being hand held would make servicing and repairing the MS a lot
> easier to do in the field than hard mounted systems would be. And there is

  You'd think that... but in 8MST we've seen people trying to clean MS
weapons while the MS is holding it in storage which seems really dumb! Why
not just put the weapon on the _Ground_ or on a tarp and then walk around
and clean it? Or more simply, have someone in the MS move the weapon
around as necessary?
  But now consider: It's easier to armor a hard-mounted system, and you
have substantially fewer parts to worry about breaking in that case too.
Hence a hard-mounted weapon might actually need _less_ maintenance than a
rifle-style weapon in the first place.

> also the fact that an MS can scavenge a weapon off the battlefield by simply
> picking one up and checking to see if it worked. I see MS's as highly trained

  You'd think that... but we've already heavily theorized that a MS's own
power is required to fire beam weapons. If that's true then it's probably
not going to be possible to scavenge weapons from the enemy.
  A notable counterexample is from CCA where Amuro scavenges a Geara
Doga's rifle (So I've heard). You'd think it wouldn't work, but I guess by
now Anaheim uses some kind of standard power connection (Or perhaps by
this point rifles carry some kind of internal power supply).

> Not if every MS's artificial intelligence was based on an actual person, a
> person that was smart enough to be able to figure out how to do most things

  Yepper! A matter of fact, the 'basics' were probably done in the lab,
but Amuro himself ended up coming up with the moves that would define the
state of MS software in the GMs etc.
                                                                -Probe