[gundam] [OT]Good Looking???(was "More More Turn A")

Kota Fujimura (fujimura+@MAIL1.ANDREW.CMU.EDU)
Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:57:46 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 09:23:19 -0700 (MST) Prabal Nandy
<nandy@U.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

> > << Typical anime heroine... wanna bet she'll fall in love with the male
> > lead?
> > Nah this is the 90's, I'll bet he is gay.
>
> (Probe busts out laughing!)
> Yeah, I could see that now, and all the Female audience will swoon over
> him anyway. Sheesh, some times you really gotta wonder about the Japanese
> and their bizzare fascinations... You couldn't even _try_ to get away with
> something like that here in the US, you'd get tied to a stake and burned
> in public!

I heard somewhere that Japanese culture is the only culture in the
world which feminine looking male can get away as "good looking". This
doesn't apply to any of the Gundam that much, but look at other anime,
like "Heroic Legend of Arslan". Some fans suspected some characters are
gay (they are not, BTW), simply because they looked so feminine.

Besides, in medieval days, being gay wasn't that uncommon. It's just
that by the time they are later 20's, people expected them to "snap out
of it" (as in, become straight again)

But I think I said enough already... Getting back to regular topics.