[gundam] Yelling and fighting

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:02:16 -0500

Hi, an old friend of mine reminds me of a very funny observation of Gundam
0079. Rather it's a non-observation.

In the good old days of monster-of-the-week anime, the good guy/robo (and
sometimes the monster) will scream out the title of the weapon or special
attack before deploying the weapon or attack. So Voltron has to scream
out the name (Voltron Broadsword?) before making that V-cut to finish off
the monster.

Another part is the transformation, many transforming or combining robos
have to deliver a long speech and a little muscle-flexing before getting
on with the transformation. The modern version of this (for the younger
members in the list) is when Sailor Moon deliver her big speech about evil
and justice yadda yadda before transforming into the fighting costume.

Cool that these were, even 10 yr old kids like us were wondering what the
bad guys were doing when the good guys were doing these routines. I even
remember being embarassed when my parents saw that we were watching these
silly stuffs on TV.

Now my friend claims that Gundam is the first anime that got rid of this
yelling and screaming and dancing before the special attacks and
transformation (Gundam core fighter combination). It's all just no
nonsense bussiness. Is that true?

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble