Re: [gundam] Re: [forsale] 1/144 HCM Z and ZZ Gundam / Buy or Trade

Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 05:57:19 +0800

> So describe the ZZG and the Mk.II! Doesn't it suffer from "Gorrilla
>Gundam" Syndrome? What's this I hear about its mobile chest vents?
> -Probe

        Hmmmm...I've got the mark II, so I'll compare it to the MG so it can be
best described.

stats:
        it's definitely taller than the MG model, but not by much...only the
headcrest, but it's proportions suggest that it should be the same
scale...the cockpit hatch, for example, seems to be really built for 1/100.
        The head is almost the same size in both cases, but specially the V-fin,
which is practically the same in dimensions. Intersting enough, the Head
crest is more pronounced in the MG version, along with the chin. The neck
is a classic hexagon shape for the HCM, while the MG has a nice detailed
one. btw, the head-mounted guns are better looking in the MG version, but
is not as sturdy looking as in the HCM, but the HCM version gives the
impression that it is more of a comm array as compared to the MG.
         The chest area is 1.5 times wider than the MG version, with wide top
chest area that slightly tapers as it goes downward to the torso. Yes, it
does have moving chest vents (up/down), which kinda suggests that they are
manuevering verniers rather than radiators. NO matter how you look at it,
the chest on the HCM is BIG, in terms of cross section. There's a lot of
additional line detail onthe chest in the HCM (a small radiator vent on top
of the main chest vents, some weird lines on the front of the cockpit
hatch, manuevering nozzle/slats on the undersides of the chest, in line
w/the main vent).
        The shoulder connectors are the same in mechanism, with the MG having
better detail. The shoulders themselves are very different for both. The
HCM has a very ineresting sliding hinge connection to the actual shoulder
underneath, therefore the side thrusters in the shoulder "pads" move in
accordance with the position of the shoulder underneath. This is very
different from the MG version, which is basically a cowl for the real
shoulder. The arms of the HCM really do suggest muscles, and are very
large in that sense, with the hands and fingers being much larger in the
HCM. The shield connection depressions are LARGE and deep, to accomodate
the shield's BIG connector.
        The skirt design on the MG seems to be derived from the HCM skirt, with an
important difference: the back skirt of the HCM version is hinged, while
the MG's isn't -- but that's because the MG has a bazooka holder that folds
inward.
        The legs are humongous when it comes to the HCM, with the calves having
shock absorbers built into them...giving a truly imposing set of legs. The
MG version looks more athletic than bulky. Alas, the feet only swivel
forward and backward in teh HCM.
        The rifles are almost the same, clips and all, but the side handle of the
rifle is a problem: in the HCM version, it is removable, as if it were a
clip for the weapon, while on the MG it is really just a handle...the
rifle also cannot be fastened to the side like in the MG. The beam sabers
look better in the MG version, since the HCM has to follow some sort of
guidelines about dangerous toys. The shield is more substantial looking in
the HCM, but doesn't come with the clipholders (which, when full of clips
blocks the shield's viewport...I dunno which is more ridiculous, a shield
with a view port, considering how gundams "see", or the fact that the
viewport is blocked by weapon clips -- what happens if a stray shot hits
those clips?). The shield does have the retracting armor bit for both.
The backpack is almost the same in design for both, with the HCM having
more manueverable top fins than the MG, and is of course bigger to go with
the large chest. There is no bazooka for the HCM, which is a shame.
        The colors of the HCM are also ugh. the "white" parts have a greenish
sort of hue, but the blue and red parts are okay/close to the cartoon...the
yellow parts are a bit too bright for me.
        Oh, the chest opens the same way in both versions, but the HCM opens to
show another door and some engine parts (all in silver-plated plastic),
while the MG version has an actual cockpit.
        OKie Probe! That's the best I can give for now....

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919