Re: [gundam] Orphans Of The Ecliptic

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:05:24 -0800

At 13:40 3/5/99 -0700, you wrote:
> This may well imply that there's a good bit of free-travelling between
>colonies in a side in "Space Buses". I wonder how common it might be for
>someone to work and live in different colony cylinders, or (more likely)
>travel to other colonies within a side for shopping-trips or vacations.

There didn't seem to be much to hinder people from hopping a spaceliner to
Francheska from Libot, even during the war. Of course, Francheska was a
resort colony and presumably within neutral Side 6, so maybe it was more
like taking a trip to the Tyrolian Alps from Geneva....

>> > I prefer to think of the Fed as a neo-Roman Empire, where they'd be
>> >careful to mix repatriated people around so their overall loyalty remains
>> >to the Fed/Rome and not to their individual origin-countries. After all,
>> I think you'd still end up with ethnic differences, just as you have
>> political and religious differences. Nature of the beast.
>
> Hrm.. Well, I guess this isn't really a "Star Trek Federation" is it
>then?

Ever notice that there a very few dark faces among the space colonists,
despite the fact that (A) they represent 90% of humanity and (B) they must
soak up a lot more UV out there?

> But there are a couple possible explanations:
> 1. The Fed will allow you to stay on Earth in limited numbers, so
> long as you pledge to live the pre-technological, 'harmony with
> nature' type lifestyle.
> 2. The Fed _encourages_ people to live a primitive lifestyle on
> Earth as 'stewards'. I.e., make sure refugees don't squat there.
> 3. The people are allowed to stay as an 'example' to the
> spacenoids of how humans can live in synch with nature.
> 4. These people really _are_ relics of the past, who are therefore
> exempt (or escaped) from Fed repatriation.
> 5. The producers of MSG suffer from G-Gundam type stereotypes and
> actually believe that people over the world really are this
> quaint.

All of the above?

And not a single Japanese-ancestry tourist with a camera, Bermuda shorts
and Hawaiian shirt to be found! (^_^)

>> > Why should we necessarily assume that this archaic 'bloodline' system
>> Because it's _not_ archaic, it's the rule of law over a good portion of the
>> world, one that I'd forgotten myself until the Czech thing reminded me.
>
> But isn't it an _old_ system?
> I mean, though new republics may have it, it IS a relic of an older
>fuedal system of government, at least, that's my understanding!

So's trial by a jury of one's peers, which was initiated to prevent riots
that might otherwise ensue when the lord of the manse condemned some
peasant out of hand. Instead, a dozen peasants would pronounce him guilty
and sentence him to death, then divvy up his belongings.

These days, a jot of legal experts say that the jury system is one of the
worst things about the legal system as a whole. They recommends (A) dump
the whole adversarial winner-takes-all, loser-pays-court-costs bit in favor
of some sort of cooperative adjudication where everyone feels that justice
has been served and (B) dump the jury of people called in off the street in
favor of a panel of professional jurists.

For a really funny send-up of the jury system in action, check out the
scene in Robert Heinlein's THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS was Manuel O'Kelly
Garcia sits in judgement of the wayward tourist from Earth.

-Z-