Re: [gundam] Orphans Of The Ecliptic

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Thu, 04 Mar 1999 20:40:02 -0800

At 15:00 3/4/99 -0700, you wrote:
>> See Senkou no Hathaway, vol. 2, page 89-90 to see how Tomino
>> describe how Federation's policy is killing various small minority
>[...]
>> compares to pervious wave of migration, of course. Every year,
>> several hundres of housands of violators are killed by Man Hunter.
>
> Sounds like all of the ideas behind the excessively powerful and
>ruthless Federation task force "MaHa" comes out of the Flashing Hathaway
>side-story... after all, we don't really see any evidence of the Fed
>violently removing people from Earth in F-91 or in V-Gundam, right? It's
>more like eviction than execution.

Ah, but we do get a taste of it in the opening scenes of CCA, where Quess
and her "lowlife" friends are ambushed by MaHa, who send Quess home to
Daddy but use excessive force to subdue said friends.

"What are you saying we did?" asks one, meaning "What trumped-up charge are
you going to use to justify this raid and our subsequent deportation?"

"Contributing to the delinquency of a minor" would be the best translation
of the reply, punctuated by a truncheon in the gut.

Come to think of it, we don't really know that happens to Quess' friends
after that. For all we know, they could all have been summarily executed
as soon as Quess was safely out of sight and earshot....

> Besides, they're just following a _Zionic_ philosophy of protecting
>Mother Earth by removing humans... the spacenoids shouldn't be
>complaining!

MaHa more closely resembles the Titans than the Zeon. In any case, I get
the impression that Zeon would've put them all in slave labor camps rather
than expensively deporting them.

>> believe, he didn't pick Biological Observer as a cover identity. He
>> made the career choice, returned to Earth for internship, see the
>
> So he _really_ was a biologist? Interesting!

No, no, he was just an observer. "I like to watch!" drools Hathaway.... (^_^)

>> Or as Earth is called in Volume 3, page 16-17. "Earth
>> Perservation/Reservation Area".
>
> Is it possible that only _certain_ parts of Earth are not allowed for
>human habitation? Perhaps the deserts and colony-drop areas _are_ open for
>habitation?

We see a lot of desert dwellers, that's for sure. Of course, we see an
equal number of tropical islanders and, of course, all those guerillas in
the jungle. The Amazon Basin looks pretty good, too, and quite sparsely
populated above-ground, what with Jabrow being almost completely underground.

But I think you're on to something here: if the idea of moving 90% of the
population into space is to allow Mother Earth to recover, then the 10% who
remain should do so in the less-habitable areas, to give the recovering
areas a better chance to make a full recovery.

>> It always struck me that Kenneth, a one-star general, retires as
>> colonel, had to beg to retain his Earth residency after retirement.
>> The question is, would that be necessary if half of the federation
>> cabinet members weren't killed on his watch?

Officers traditionally retire one pay-grade below their highest-held
pay-grade, so a Brigadier General (O-7) retiring as a Colonel (O-6) would
be exactly right. I've seen Majors (O-4) who couldn't make Lieutenant
Colonel (O-5) accept reduction in rank to Staff Sergeant (E-5) for the rest
of their terms so that they could retire as Captains (O-3)....

> That might be part of it, but it also might be that only certain
>'levels' of people are allowed to petition to remain on Earth for
>"Meritonious Service", or "Distinguished Achievement". I wouldn't be
>surprised if this was the 'official' term of Amuro's stay on Earth.

I think Amuro got to stay because of his familial connections. In addition
to being among the elite, his folks were apparently also quite wealthy. We
don't get to see this because we only see Tem Ray on military assignment
(and, later, brain-damaged and delusional) and Kamaria Ray in a Zeon
detention camp. That big house with all the Federation-spy servants
_belonged_ to Amuro, if I recall correctly, and not because the Feds gave
it to him.

>> OTOH, the whole Senkou no Hathaway saga riles againist the
>> hereditary nature of Federation cabinet and bureaucracy. I didn't
>> do a exact count, but that statement appears at least 30 times over
>> the three volumes. A pity that theme wasn't explained more and
>> expressed in other works.
>
> The idea of a Strong-Armed Federal government seems to be one that
>Tomino abandoned, in favor of a slow-moving ineffective coalition
>government (Which is more realistic, but which simply can't be that brutal
>or callous). After all, the Fed is more like Japan than say, the Soviet
>Union!

The Federation may have started out with a good deal more clout, though,
and simply degenerated into an ineffectual bureacracy over time. Despite
winning the War, the Feds got their pins knocked out from under them and
never really recovered. When it _did_ rally, it was with Jamitov in the
saddle. After the AEUG and Kalaba brought down the EUG, the Axis took over
and declared Neo Zeon. After Neo Zeon was defeated, there was no one
strong enough to hammer what was left back into the Federation of yore.

-Z-