Re: [gundam] Orphans Of The Ecliptic

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:39:12 -0800

Jim Huang writes,

>ibid, page 23. The target population by Federation is about 100
>millions. Given the common assumption that half of the pre-OYW 2
>billion population surived, that's a 900 millions reduction. Nothing
>compares to pervious wave of migration, of course.

  Well, it's another 90% reduction, applied to a terrestrial population
that's already reduced by 80-90%. That leaves just the top 1% of the human
race on Earth, versus the previous 10-20%...

>My impression is that Hathaway could had got Earth residence other
>ways if he wanted.

  Hm, interesting. So the strings were there, but he chose not to pull 'em...

>Contray to popular
>believe, he didn't pick Biological Observer as a cover identity. He
>made the career choice, returned to Earth for internship, see the
>things he didn't see as a kid, radicalized and recruited by the
>organization.(ibid, page 20, 21)

  Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

>OTOH, the whole Senkou no Hathaway saga riles againist the
>hereditary nature of Federation cabinet and bureaucracy. I didn't
>do a exact count, but that statement appears at least 30 times over
>the three volumes. A pity that theme wasn't explained more and
>expressed in other works.

  I guess the idea is that the true elite can inherit these privileges, but
second-class citizens like the Ebbing family have no permanent rights and
can be booted off the planet whenever it suits the powers that be...

  Interesting that Bright complains about being labeled an "elite" in the
first series. His crewmates reply that anyone from Earth is an elite by
definition, but perhaps they're wrong; the Noah family may be Earth
residents but not have _guaranteed_ residency, which a hereditary
bureaucrat presumably would.

Probe writes,

> Sounds like all of the ideas behind the excessively powerful and
>ruthless Federation task force "MaHa" comes out of the Flashing Hathaway
>side-story... after all, we don't really see any evidence of the Fed
>violently removing people from Earth in F-91 or in V-Gundam, right? It's
>more like eviction than execution.

  Well, we don't see _anything_ on Earth in F91, and government of any kind
is in short supply in V Gundam. But the start of CCA does showcase the
brutal side of the immigration cops...

> Besides, they're just following a _Zionic_ philosophy of protecting
>Mother Earth by removing humans... the spacenoids shouldn't be
>complaining!

  Except that the Federation isn't removing _all_ the humans - they're just
booting all the low-class neighbors off the planet so they can enjoy it for
themselves. This selfishness appears to reach its logical conclusion in
Gaia Gear, in which MaHa rebels against the Federation and attempts to
seize Earth for itself.

> Does his record include the fact that he stole a Jegan
>during a military maneuver and proceeded to cold-bloodedly murder Chien?

  As Jim has noted earlier, the Hathaway novels follow the CCA novel
continuity, in which Hathaway's actions play out rather differently...

> Is it possible that only _certain_ parts of Earth are not allowed for
>human habitation? Perhaps the deserts and colony-drop areas _are_ open for
>habitation?

  In V Gundam, there are selected urban areas where human habitation is
allowed - Barcelona, Woowig, etc. - while wilderness areas like Point
Kassarelia are off-limits.

-- Mark