Re: [gundam] Turn A Gundam returns!

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:08:42 -0700 (MST)

> > But to base an entire series on this sort of thing? Hrrrrrm. Somehow I
> >don't see anime ever getting as 'gritty' as HG Wells. A show based on
> Well, there was SPT Layzner, in which the Earth was pretty much conquered
> except for the resistance movement and its lone SPT.
> And didn't the Earth get walked over pretty good by Aura Battlers in Dunbine?
> Mospeada's Earth got thoroughly trashed by the Invid, who knocked down our

  Yeah, but in general you never see any anime shows with such a
realistically hopeless situation for the Earthers as you do in the early
worlds of American SF. In Mospeda for example, you have lots of people
cheerfully living the 'village' life and collaborating with the Invid...
Even shows like Tekkaman blade, Evangeleon, Appleseed, and other
post-apocalyptic-type shows where the opening sequence says "90% of
everyone is DEAD! The world is OVER! Giant Robo... FIGHT!" you don't see
people scavenging for food among corpses, fighting each other over rats
and mice, and generally living in destitution. Instead, anime will show
you a blazing white city with flying buses and women wearing the latest in
designer space fashions with a 'hostile wasteland' surrounding everything
and coming into play only when the plot requires it.

  Hence, I wouldn't be surprised if Turn-A follows the typical anime
stereotype of having the Spacenoid war to be a 'background' to the common
folk, since they will naturally follow the samurai-anime-ethic of not
interfereing in the day to day life of the average peasant while fighting
the heroic Turn-A in every action-packed episode, unless it serves the
plot by exemplifying said heroism of said character, or the nefariousness
of said enemy. Nice 'sterile' war.

                                                                  -Probe