Re: [gundam] Orphans Of The Ecliptic

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 15:00:19 -0700 (MST)

> See Senkou no Hathaway, vol. 2, page 89-90 to see how Tomino
> describe how Federation's policy is killing various small minority
[...]
> compares to pervious wave of migration, of course. Every year,
> several hundres of housands of violators are killed by Man Hunter.

  Sounds like all of the ideas behind the excessively powerful and
ruthless Federation task force "MaHa" comes out of the Flashing Hathaway
side-story... after all, we don't really see any evidence of the Fed
violently removing people from Earth in F-91 or in V-Gundam, right? It's
more like eviction than execution.
  Besides, they're just following a _Zionic_ philosophy of protecting
Mother Earth by removing humans... the spacenoids shouldn't be
complaining!

> could get the residence by became a Fed MS pilot.(Other
> characters speaks highly of his record in 0093.) But Hathaway

  Does his record include the fact that he stole a Jegan
during a military maneuver and proceeded to cold-bloodedly murder Chien?

> believe, he didn't pick Biological Observer as a cover identity. He
> made the career choice, returned to Earth for internship, see the

  So he _really_ was a biologist? Interesting!

> Or as Earth is called in Volume 3, page 16-17. "Earth
> Perservation/Reservation Area".

  Is it possible that only _certain_ parts of Earth are not allowed for
human habitation? Perhaps the deserts and colony-drop areas _are_ open for
habitation?

> It always struck me that Kenneth, a one-star general, retires as
> colonel, had to beg to retain his Earth residency after retirement.
> The question is, would that be necessary if half of the federation
> cabinet members weren't killed on his watch?

  That might be part of it, but it also might be that only certain
'levels' of people are allowed to petition to remain on Earth for
"Meritonious Service", or "Distinguished Achievement". I wouldn't be
surprised if this was the 'official' term of Amuro's stay on Earth.

> OTOH, the whole Senkou no Hathaway saga riles againist the
> hereditary nature of Federation cabinet and bureaucracy. I didn't
> do a exact count, but that statement appears at least 30 times over
> the three volumes. A pity that theme wasn't explained more and
> expressed in other works.

  The idea of a Strong-Armed Federal government seems to be one that
Tomino abandoned, in favor of a slow-moving ineffective coalition
government (Which is more realistic, but which simply can't be that brutal
or callous). After all, the Fed is more like Japan than say, the Soviet
Union!
                                                                -Probe