Re: [gundam] Orphans Of The Ecliptic

Jim Huang (tyhuang@OCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 21:02:59 -0800

On 3 Mar 99, at 13:18, Mark Simmons wrote:

> Dafydd writes,
> >The scenario resembles that Salem Village, where everyone dresses and lives
> >like a Puritan settler of the 1600s, or the now-vanishing Amish
> >settlements, where no technology beyond muscle-powered machines is permitted.
>
> Or, for that matter, the "Museum Fremen" of the later Dune novels, who
> keep the ways of their ancestors alive as a state-sponsored task rather
> than out of pure respect for tradition.

See Senkou no Hathaway, vol. 2, page 89-90 to see how Tomino
describe how Federation's policy is killing various small minority
groups.

> Note that Hathaway Noah, though the son of an elite born and raised on
> Earth, has to use his cover identity as a botanist to get to Earth in the
> Hathway's Flash novels. Either elite kids lose their status once they grow
> up, or the Federation has gotten stricter since he was a kid.

ibid, page 23. The target population by Federation is about 100
millions. Given the common assumption that half of the pre-OYW 2
billion population surived, that's a 900 millions reduction. Nothing
compares to pervious wave of migration, of course. Every year,
several hundres of housands of violators are killed by Man Hunter.

My impression is that Hathaway could had got Earth residence other
ways if he wanted. He could use the family's connection. Or he
could get the residence by became a Fed MS pilot.(Other
characters speaks highly of his record in 0093.) But Hathaway
made his career choice to make a statement. Contray to popular
believe, he didn't pick Biological Observer as a cover identity. He
made the career choice, returned to Earth for internship, see the
things he didn't see as a kid, radicalized and recruited by the
organization.(ibid, page 20, 21)

> Since Usso and Hathaway were both born on Earth, of legal residents, but
> end up without residence rights, we can conclude that being born on Earth
> doesn't entitle you to stay there. But this is a matter of immigration
> status, not citizenship per se. And it doesn't mean that the Federation is
> concerned at all with excluding spacenoids from general-purpose
> citizenship; rather, its only concern is policing the Earth population.

Or as Earth is called in Volume 3, page 16-17. "Earth
Perservation/Reservation Area".

It always struck me that Kenneth, a one-star general, retires as
colonel, had to beg to retain his Earth residency after retirement.
The question is, would that be necessary if half of the federation
cabinet members weren't killed on his watch?

> >If bloodline, not birthplace, is the determining factor, than the 10% who
> >are Earthnoid and the 90% who are Spacenoid are fixed in their respective
> >identity as such. _That_ would make a _big_ difference in the political
> >climate!

> Yep, it would. I think your Czech Republic analogy, while probably
> irrelevant in terms of terrestrial nations, probably holds water when
> considering the issue of Earth residence. Though, from the Hathaway
> example, elite status may not be inheritable. (Usso's family, on the other
> hand, can probably be characterized as resident aliens or some other form
> of second-class citizen, whose residence rights - visas, if you will - may
> be revoked at any time.)

OTOH, the whole Senkou no Hathaway saga riles againist the
hereditary nature of Federation cabinet and bureaucracy. I didn't
do a exact count, but that statement appears at least 30 times over
the three volumes. A pity that theme wasn't explained more and
expressed in other works.

I still don't really think Hathaway is a good example. Maybe I read it
wrong, but I still think Hathaway rejected "easy way", and choose
what he consider the "right way".

Jim Huang