Re: [gundam] VIZ's Gundam 0079 comic

Wed, 3 Mar 1999 14:12:56 -0500

On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Y. Choe wrote:
> Mark S., any word on the VIZ sales of Gundam0079 Comic? I'd be the first
> in line to buy the issue no.1, the entire graphic novel, etc. etc. etc.

May I cut in? From what I've heard, issue no.1 is coming out this month.
At the rate 1 issue per episode, it's gonna cost a lot of mullahs to cover
the whole TV series. A few of us had the honor to be beta testers (Y Choe
included) for issue no.1. Here is the letter I wrote to the publisher:

   ------------------

Twenty years ago, we joyously sat down to watch the first episodes of yet
another giant robot anime show. But very quickly, we realized something
is different: there is a deeper complicated story behind the
crisis-of-the-week formula show. We were spellbound by the cast of
characters as well as the robots and we maintained our attention span for
a story that took almost a full year to finish. Gundam raised the bar so
high that afterwards, we were not so impressionable any more. The
memories of 0079 lingers for twenty years.

When I heard that Gundam is finally coming to America, I was delighted.
Now my friends, young and old, can appreciate for themselves this epic war
tale. But boy was I surprised to see the comic book myself! I almost
hate to say it, but I really like the Westernized drawing style. The
characters look beautiful, it's as if every panel is a portrait. The
mobile suits and ships are crisp and finely detailed. What a change from
the anime! And what you have done to the White Base is fantastic. The
White Base was one of the weaker designs of the original anime, but by
adjusting the proportions slightly, you have given it the Midas' touch!
The results has doubled the realistic and believable quality of the
original anime. I really look forward to seeing the other ships and
mobile suits in the future issues. Thanks for the good start, keep it up!

PS: It would be really cool if you include a page or so of technical
profile together with 1 or 2 orthogonal views of the ships and mobile
suits of Gundam. One ship or mobile suit per issue would be quite good.

C T CHIN