Re: [gundam] Orphans Of The Ecliptic

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:25:47 -0800

At 19:52 3/2/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Dafydd writes,
>
>>This brings us to the question of Federation citizenship. By American
>>laws, everyone would be a citizen of the Federation because they were born
>>into it -- there's no other government. On the other hand, there still
>>seem to be nations and nationalities. If we apply Japanese laws, everyone
>>would be a _member_ of the Federation to some degree, but a _citizen_ of
>>whatever nationality with which they had a blood relation.
>
> Not really; there aren't any nationalities to speak of in Gundam, which
>is the reason why Sunrise now objects so strongly to the "UNT Spacy"
>term. Unlike the United Nations, the Earth Federation is a fusion of
>previously independent nations, not an alliance between them.

The why did they go out of their way to "nationalize" the White Base crew?
We've got Briton Bright Noah, French Sayla Maas, Agentine Ryu Josť, Puerto
Rican Kai Shiden and German Frau Bow, plus Japanese Amuro Ray, Mirai
Yashima and Hayato Kobayashi. If there are no nationalities, why should
there be any ethnicities after three generations in solar-powered melting-pots?

And what about the "caretaker" residents of Earth, who are definitely
ethnic? Are they not perpetuating and preserving their respective national
heritages?

>>Given that "entire populations" were uprooted and transported to space, it
>>follows that the colonies so produced would be nationalities of one
>>bloodline or another and the colonist would be citizens of those
>>nationalities....
>
> Actually, this premise applies more properly to the Gundam W universe.
>If you read the AC timeline
><http://gundam.anime.net/world/actimeline.html>, you'll see that the big
>crackdown on the space colonies comes when the Alliance reasserts the
>sovereignty of its member nations over the colonies that they'd
>previously established.

The point I wanted to make, and apparently failed to convey, was that,
under the Japanese bloodline system, true orphans like the Gang of Three
would be stateless persons, because they're too young to know who their
parents were and thus unable to establish their nationality. This is a big
problem now in the Czech Republic, which uses the same system and has
thousands of kids who can't be classified as citizens and are thus
ineligible for the state protection that they so desperately need.

The Gang of Three lucked out and were adopted by Hayato and Frau Kobayashi,
thus becoming citizens of Japan. Or maybe German, if the Japanese cut
Hayato lose for marrying outside the clan....

-Z-