Re: [gundam] Turn A Gundam returns!

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 17:17:45 -0700 (MST)

> As you may infer from the fact that they have to resort to biplanes and
> anti aircraft gun-equipped jeeps to fight forty-meter mobile suits, the
> Earth folks are rather technologically backward (though it sounds more
> like WWI-level technology, rather than the earlier-described 19th

  Right, but it's still stupid!
  I mean, what kind of 'politician' pisses off a rival who's got
_space_craft_, giant, 120foot tall killer robots, laser-blasters,
beam-sabers, etc etc... when the best thing you've got is machine-guns and
biplanes? What the hell is this, "Mobile Godzilla Squishfest '99"? Sounds
like it's gonna be a mighty one-sided war which doesn't make sense in the
first place!

> century-level). They've long since forgotten, says Fuji TV's synopsis,
> that man once traveled in space; the mysterious mobile suit "Turn A" (as
> Kota notes, it's not described as a Gundam per se) is a "legacy of the
> space age," i.e. a buried artifact from the high-tech days of yore.

  Yes, I guess their world got slammed back into the stoneage... after a
century of colony drops!
  How could they forget people travelled in space when faced with people
from the moon? Hard to fanthom.

> Also as noted by Kota, the Moon Race first try to wrangle their share
> of terrestrial real estate through negotiation. Sounds like Earth is
> broken up into feudal fiefdoms, ruled by aristocratic families; Gwen

  Seems like all they need to do is convince _one_ of the fiefdoms then,
eh?

> Third Rheinford is the heir to the Inglessa fiefdom, and a participant in
> the negotiations. Rheinford is described as a genius who aims to launch a
> new industrial revolution.

  "Inglessa" i.e., "English"? Gee, making war with a race who has 120 foot
tall mobile mechanical monstrousities might put a little 'damper' on your
plans for world domination!
                                                                -Probe