Re: [gundam] CCA

-Z- (Z@gundam.com)
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:39:07 -0800

At 02:48 2/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Prabal Nandy wrote:
>
>> > Well, yeah, I assume anyone who understood what went on 0080 to be like
>> > that, and I do think it is realistic for him to be annoying little kid.
>>
>> Geez, am I just too used to raising little kids, or am I missing why
>> Alfred is annoying? I thought he was particularly well behaved to the
>> point that he was perhaps _less_ realistic than one might expect?
>
>Hm, I think the reason why I find him annoying is probably because
>
>1) I don't like kids at that age
>2) He kinda reminds me of myself when I was that age.
>
>...yeah, I was a little smart ass. Makes me shudder to think about it,
>but I gotta live with who I am.

If so, then Yamaga Hiroyuki (screenplay) and Takayama Fumihiko (director)
deserve a round of applause for creating such an on-target portrayal. A
well-played character should always make the audience see themselves.

Yamaga certainly won't be getting any credit with the English speaking
audience unless they have patience and freezeframe. The credits on the
Anime Village box cite "Original Story" by Yadate Hajime and Yoshiyuki
Tomino! (When they say "original" story, they mean the _Original_ story....)

>But I don't think he was well behaved though. I really don't think a well
>behaved kid lies to police to get what he want.

He's well-behaved in comparison to kids who steal mobile suits or core
fighters, blow away people on their own side, punch out designated
superiors, dallies with known enemies or any of a number of other things
for which our Gundam heroes have become duly notorious.

This is not to say that he doesn't have problems, but given his family
life, I'd say his escapades are on par with the shoplifting, substance
abuse and vandalism common among kids his age in similar circumstances.
It's called "acting out" and I think they captured it quite well here. The
scene where he sides with the monsters and helps them zap the town in his
computer game is particularly touching....

-Z-