Re: [gundam] What next? pipedream sequels!

Jim Huang (tyhuang@OCF.Berkeley.EDU)
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:02:37 -0800

On 27 Feb 99, at 3:29, Chien Ting Chin wrote:

> > Interesting. Explain what you mean by this statement. I'm not familiar
> > with this term "Genki". Are you suggesting that Tomino believes that there
> > is a different social order that will supercede our modern industrial one?

[Snip]

> principle or something. And that will be what Tomino calls "Genki".

I think I created some confusion here unintentionally. I still stand
behind "Will to live" as an acceptable translation for "Genki" based
on the context of surrounding texts. I realized "Genki" has mulitple
meaning, and is one of the more well-know Japanese word, so I
appended it behind my translation to hedge. In other word, when I
have some doubt about my translation, I add the original word
behind it. (That's just a personal style.) There is no need to attribute
too much mystical property to that term.

According to my Kenkyusha's New College Japanese-English
Dictionary 4th Edition:

Genki: vigor; energy; vitality; pep and health

Sorry for the confusion I caused

Jim Huang
When OLs copy the style of Kahala Tomomi, they are called Kahara
When High School Girls copy the sytle of Amuro Namie, they are called Amura
When weirdos copy the sytle of Shinohara Tomoe, they are called Shinora
When elementry school girl copy the style of Nomura Yuuko, they are called Nomura

When Gundam fans copy the style of Char Azunabel, they are called
                                   CHARA