Re: [gundam] [GUNDAM] Mailing list.

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 12:38:21 -0700 (MST)

> *THINK* Gundam probably has the greatest percentage of fans that were
> introduced to it through the models, as opposed to running across the
> anime itself. Gundam models have made up the bulk of the Japanese

  Definately compared to any other anime. A matter of fact, there was even
a book "Follow the Plastic Warrior" written about the Gundam modelling
craze and its long-term impact on Japanese society 20 years later! (So
I've heard)

> sections of model shops for the past 15+ years now, and it has been
> much easier to encounter the models than to see the actual anime

  That's been the case with just about every Gundam fan I know. Saw the
models, built the models, began to wonder about the anime. A matter of
fact, it's the model industry that DRIVES the anime these days!

> that spawned it. Is it really that bizarre, then, that this list
> tends to discuss models as much as story, on average? I agree with

  Hey, I first found out about gundam through the (excellent) HG Gundam
Mk.II kit, and its associated model-manual (which had some cool O'Niel
colony illustrations in it that really caught my attentions! Before then,
all I'd heard was that Gundam was basically a "Shogun Warriors in Space"
show!
                                                                -Probe