Re: [gundam] MG Elmeth and mumbling... and a waste of your time

Tue, 23 Feb 1999 23:12:48 -0500

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Edward Ju wrote:
> Well, everyone's gotta start somewhere. You don't expect to be able to do
> all the cool scratchbuilds without years of experience.

I would have accumlate those years of experience by now if I were
interested in sculptures. Putting it another way I am not too proud of my
little model (Gunpla no less) addiction.

> Ape the examples in these Hobby Japan mooks and sooner or later you'll
> develop your own sense of design style.

To be honest, I am beyond any sense of Gundam style now. If I sit down to
draw a design, for near future, how can I draw anything but SF3D? For far
future, it's gonna be nanotech-cyberpunk. For me Gundam mechas is like
classical music, it's something of a different era. It's amusing to
listen to JS Bach again, as it is to listen to modern variations,
interpretations and extrapolations in Bach's style. But that's living in
the past.

Ok, I might as well say it out loud now: I think giant-robos are passe.
The essense of Gundam should be preseved as fundation on which bigger and
better things be built. Generations of musicians have done that with
Bach. As Tomino originally intented the mechas play supporting roles
only. The essense is Newtype, morals, free spirit vs. social structure,
ruthless winners vs lovable losers, etc etc...

Oh geeez, how the f*ck did I come from Elmeth models to this incoherent
mumbling? I am really gonna get flamed on this one. I should hide in the
basement for a few days. Let's see... I guess I might as well take both
the 08MST GM and 0080 GM kits down with me...

CHIN, Chien Ting
... o O *
Man is a bubble