Re: [gundam] Gundam Acronyms?

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 13:30:11 -0700 (MST)

> that the R is for 'Robot', for its developer Tem Ray was somewhat
> mad-scientist type guy. ;-)

  Heh! But Dr. Rei didn't _really_ become the wacked-out scientist that we
all know and love until _after_ he had already built the gundam and had it
stolen, right?

> For your information, Gundam's original code number mentioned in the
> first TV series was... 'Ganda-X78'. Oh well.

  I remember hearing something along the lines of "No model numbers were
ever shown in the anime, they were all developed later for the
model-kits!" Hence, the problem with the original MS-11 Gelgoog, etc.

> connection with Axis. AGX = Anaheim Gundam Experiment, from the notion
> that it was originally one of the prototypes for the Gundam Development

  Yup, but it hardly matters with customized personalized prototype
robots. After all, you can call it anything as long as it's not fitting
into any particular military's nomenclature.

> Perfect Gundam wasn't a part of official Gundam continuity, because it
> was just another kind of one-off enhanced version of the original RX-78,
> featured in manga 'Puramo Kyoshiro' only. So was the prefix 'PF'.

  Even _in_ the manga it was supposed to be a computer-simulated mecha if
I remember it right, so it doesn't even really _exist_ even in the manga
continuity itself!

> >RGZ (Federation Gundam Zeta or Refined GZ -- opinions differ).
> At least the books I have encountered so far give it as Refined Gundam
> Zeta. I can't find any reason why the letter R should mean always the
> same thing.

  Well, they do append the letter "R" to the end of the GMs refitted after
1YW, meaning either "Refined" or "Refitted" or "Rennovated" or something
along those lines.

> In GW, we get to have the new prefix WMS (Mag'anacs) also.

  I think that stands for "Weinner Mobile Suit" or something like that,
right?

                                                                -Probe