RE: [gundam] F91 or G

Hard_Case (wing0@earthlink.net)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:13:45 -0500

Problem is...in the regard to fansubs, it falls under an international
precedent.
I wish I could remember which piece of legislation it is, but any signator
of
it basically agrees to keep in consideration the copyrights of the other
signator
countries.

I mean, look at lyrics.ch. They got nailed and are in court with (I can't
remember the
acronym) an american group. If a company in Japan decided they really and
truly
didn't approve of fansubs of their work and decide to press the issue, they
could
bring American fansub distributors up on charges. The reason it's never
really
done is because it's pointless. Even if some Japanese corp took down, say a
major
bootlegger (less grey area there), the revenue lost from the costs of
international
law prosecution wouldn't balance with the projected revenue protected from
the removal
of said bootlegger.

It's why there's always such a stink about Taiwan. They never signed the
agreement,
and thus don't have to follow it.

I'll have my-brother-the-lawyer take a look at it....maybe he can come up
with it.

Hard_Case
wing0@earthlink.net
'Stupidity deserves whatever consequences it's actions garner'
                                            - Me

'When I ran I didn't feel like a runaway...When I escaped I didn't
 feel like I got away. There's more to living than only surving...Maybe
 I'm not there, but I'm still trying'
                                            - Offspring, Staring at the Sun