Re: [gundam] GM liner notes, Giren's Greed bits

Mark Simmons (scorpio@best.com)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 01:08:39 -0800

Probe writes,

> WAY too low! There's no way they could have won with that few MS...
>unless the GM was even more kick-butt good than it appears in any of the
>animation we've seen!

  Exactly. It's been oft-claimed that Operation Star One involved 1200
Balls; ince we see roughly equal numbers of GMs in the battle sequences,
there must have been at least a thousand GMs involved in this space
campaign alone (though surely far short of the 8000-plus posited by EB 39
and the Hobby Japan book).

> I mean, the GM-[G] looks _nothing_ like the RX-78 or the RGM-79... it's
>got a big bulky torso that's closest to the RX-79 and nothing else.

  I guess the theory is that the [G] type was an evolutionary dead and,
and that the final version reverted to the Gundam's basic model. Dubious
indeed, but there you have it...

> And if this is the new official history, the production of the RX-79
>makes even _less_ sense!

  Unless one supposes that the Federation's space and ground forces each
wanted to pursue their own mobile suit development. The different
organization schemes used by each force, and the different titles used
for admirals (Tianem) and generals (Revil), might provide anecdotal
evidence of such a schism...

> So how do all the GM variants fit into the story? Particularly the
>GM-Commandos and GM-Cs?

  (All together now...) Late-model variants!

> Though the only think I can think of is adding in extra heat sinks for
>space, otherwise environmentally I don't see why it's necessary.

  Hm. Or maybe different pumps for the various coolant types? Different
avionics? Um...

> Isn't it cool though, that the GM can be serviced so easily? Engine
>trouble? Easy, just swap in a new core block! Got a trashed set of legs?
>Lift off the upped body and set it down on another set of limbs! Truely
>modular engineering!

  Pretty slick! If the GM really maintains the Gundam's modularity, then
the V Gundam's reintroduction of the modular concept isn't so surprising...

> See, I told you it had to have an ECAP of some kind!

  So you did, Probe, so you did. :-)

> And doesn't it make TONS of sense from the theory we bounced around
>earlier? I.e., that the charged M-Particles produce the ammo 'punch' while
>the power from the MS itself produces the accelleration of the particles
>required for range and speed!

  Exactly. And the GM has a lower power output than the Gundam,
restricting its ability to accelerate the particles.

> Hence, the GM uses the same M-Particle 'ammo-load' of the Gundam
>(Standardized ammo effectively!) but it has significantly less MS-power
>used for accellerating the particles... and since it fires slower bursts,
>why bother having an extra long barrel and long-range targetting gear for
>sighting?

  Not to mention that the barrel contains acceleration and focusing
hardware. Lop off the barrel and you have a beam emitter sans
accelerator. Compare with the V Gundam's rifle, in which you can strip
off the barrel, sensor unit, and E-pack, leaving just a crude beam pistol
(with, presumably, a vestigial E-cap good for a couple of shots).

>It's basically just a small tube-coil
>powered by the GM's hand and a M-Particle EPAC bottle behind the trigger!
>And that's _exactly_ what it looks like too! cool!

  Feel better now, Probe?

> The Gundam's got the M-14, but the GM's packing a rugged, dependable
>Colt .45!
> At range, the Gundam's got a good advantage, but in close quarters the
>GM RULES!

  I guess Probe _is_ feeling better. ;-)

> So basically it's got EXACTLY the same backpack and electronics systems
>and generator as the Gundam, the Fed just couldn't afford to give every GM
>a second saber. Or more likely, they realized from the Gundam's example
>that "Hey, he's never run out of saber-juice so why bother with a backup
>saber system?"

  Fair enough. The notion that the connections are still live, so you can
plug in a second saber unit if you have to, rather underscores the GM's
essential similarity to the Gundam.

 By the way, I note that it's not just us Western fans who dig this kind
of geekery. See < http://kiwi-us.com/~amigo/10000ms/think/actionzaku.htm>
for a Japanese fan's essay on the MS-11 Acht Zaku, its magnetic coating
and manufacturer, and the implications for the MS-15 Gann. Great stuff!
But I warn you, it's all in Japanese...

-- Mark