Re: [gundam] F91 or G

Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 01:22:45 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999 PIG0506@aol.com wrote:

> >I know. But my point is also that Bandai can now Prosecute you for piracy if
> >you have fansubs.
>
> Isn't it legal as long as there is no distribution/copyright in the US? Since
> Bandai only has a handful released, that would make the rest legal.

Fansubs/fandubs are NOT legal any way you slice it. It's even more
illegal than mp3s. It's alteration of original work. And last time I
checked, in any country ratified the international copyright law,
that's illegal, unless you have a distribution rights. It's just
that most of the company doesn't bother to prosecute it, because
fansubbers stop releasing their subs if it becomes officially available.

But you should never, never assume it's legal. It's kinda like having
Gundam related homepage. Sunrise can actually prosecute you, but I
haven't heard anyone in and outside of Japan who was notified by Sunrise
to shut down its page. Hell, I'm pretty sure the production company of
Turn A Gundam is violating this too. But they can legally prosecute you,
if they really want to.

Kota