Re: [gundam] MG GM

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 09:37:59 -0700 (MST)

> >Use a airbrush or spray can, and spray in light coats. Put a spray
> >can in warm water for 5 minutes before you paint. This will make a
> >very fine spray that, when done in several coats, will not cover up

  Now THAT is a neat idea.... how about just heating the can outside
though?

> And if using a spray can, always keep the can moving, don't keep it in one
> area, paint by sweeping the can side to side, like in auto assembly
> factories, and keep hte can at least 6" to 12" away from the part to be

  I do that now, when possible. But I had a wierd problem with the paint
beginning to foam (Very small almost microscopic bubbles at one point) but
the bubbles began to drift into seams and stuff and I couldn't do anything
about it except try and 'shave' them off after the paint had already
dried. Yeeek!

> That way, you can actually get a grainy finish which looks mmm-mmm good on
> a gundam, as well as preserve the lines for inking. I'll be putting up
> pics of my suits painted this way soon......

  Excellent. I followed advice like this for my "Deep Space Gerbera Tetra"
(Painted peachish-ivory) and it looks GREAT!

> >>to open up, and worst of all, your kit becomes MONSTROUSLY heavy when
> >>you're done! I did a full repaint on my MS-06S type Zaku and the whole
> I know the feeling....brush-painted stuff, though they may have a very
> deep sheen specially if gloss paints are used with the proper thinner/paint
> ratio, tends to be a LOT of paint.

  What the problem was is that I used a gloss paint and then dull-coated
it... It became about a 3lb model when I was done! Now I make sure not to
bother with gloss paints at all and at least for smaller kits it's not an
issue. But MG kits are ALREADY pretty heavy so...
                                                                -Probe