Re: [gundam] Gundam in the US!?!?!

Chris Beilby (cbeilby@earthlink.net)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:19:34 -0800

A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy, Far, Far Away.... wrote:

> >> Anyway, I think that the domestic release of these models will be to
> >> distributors that would normally carry such models anyway, and perhaps
>
> >> to a few extra beyond that.
> >
> >Actually, Gundam models and toys have been in domestic release for quite
> >some time. Previews has been soliciting them for over five years. I
> can't
> >imagine they sell well, though.
>
> I think he might have been referring to a bigger market than that.
> Remember
> that rumor a while back about Bandai going domestic with Toys-R-Us? From
> what I have been able to find, there might be some truth to that rumor
> after
> all.
>
> >> Remember in the mid-80s when someone bought
> >> the Robotech liscence and a bunch of old Bandai models, and released
> >
> >Actually, that _was_ Robotech. Revell licensed a whole bunch of robot
> kits
> >from Takara, Imai, and/or Arii, and to "brand" the kits they created the
> >name Robotech for them. Then came the DC "Robotech Defenders" comic
> >(which featured the models), then the TV series (which didn't feature
> many
> >of the models), and it went downhill (or uphill) from there.
>
> Actually, there were three different Robotechs, the Revell one, the DC
> Comics
> one, and the Harmony Gold. Revell licensed a bunch of mecha kits (like
> you
> said) and licensed them under the Robotech Defenders name. DC was hired
> to do a comicbook to tie all of these kits together. It was supposed to
> be 3
> issues, but it was *so* *bad*, DC cut it down to two (I have the second
> one).
> Carl Macek brought over Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada, and
> combined them into one series. He needed a recognizable name for them,
> so he bought the Robotech name from Revell.
> Now two side notes. Almost all of the mecha featured in the Robotech
> Defenders
> model line eventually showed up in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Edition of the
> Battletech
> boxed sets and were the staple mech designs up until 2 years ago. Revell
> also
> later brought over the Mospeada vehicles as models, but because they
> could
> not use the Robotech name anymore, they renamed them "Gobots". So if
> you pick up any "Gobot" model kits, they are not models of the popular
> mid-80's
> toys and cartoon characters, they're Mospeada models.
>
> --
> Linwood Foster, The_Sentinel@Gundam.Com
> 3 of 10, Rec.Games.Mecha Moderation Team
> 10th Lyran Guards, The Revenants.
> http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/1315

> or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

No No No!
The Gobots line was a model line that was distrubuted by Monogram under
license from a toy company that brought thed Go-Bots toys to the US (Tomy, I
think.) They bought the Legios Jupiter Model and Mospeda Blowsperior to
portray the Gobots leaders, Lerader One and Cy-Kill. Macek had nothing to do
with this.

The Valkyries and the Orguss Bronco Orgoid were reeased by Revell as part of
the Robotech line, but Not under the name Robotech Defenders. The Robotech
Defenders were exclusively the Dougram Combat Armors.

Macek was already planning to syndicate Macross on it's own before he ever
bought the license to the name Robotech. The license came when he wanted to
be able to have the connected models available. This has nothing to do with
the addition of Southern Cross and Mospeda, which became part of the project
when Harmony Gold and Macek discovered that they needed 65 episodes for daily
syndication in the US.