Re: [gundam] Gyakshu no Roger.

Djallel Zouita (d.zouita@wanadoo.fr)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:40:07 +0100

Probe wrote:

> > longer before judging, I must say that Gundam looks like a total sucker
> > to me but in my book that's not a reason not to give the show its
> > chance. So please, stop speculating in such a way: you'll soon run out
> > of arguments and start repeating them. My motto is wait and see.
> > Plus, as Probe said, the all mighty Katoki might still save the day.
>
> Sure!
> And you know what, I'm almost SURE that's going to happen... I mean,
> isn't it SOP in Bandai shows for one guy to do the "Rough Design" and then
> another established designer to come through and do a "Clean Up" of the
> design?
>
> If they take the Turn-A gundam and then have Katoki go over it and do
> one of his cool jobs on it, it's entirely possible that we'll get
> something decent looking out of this show.
>
> As for the show itself, yes, it's hard to speculate to any degree of
> anything as to what it's going to be like. But hell, speculation is what
> makes being a Fan FUN! Personally, you know I'm _always_ pessimistic about
> new anime shows, so take that with a big grain of salt. But there's no
> point trying to _discourage_ speculation, this is, after all, a fanlist
> and we can't help it!

Yeah, that's something I understand: my idea wasn't to stop speculation
(who would I be to do this anyway?) but rather to ask: what's the point
in being so redundant? I mean I've read a lot of times the same thing in
the past week and I think we should try to move the debate one step
forward.

> On the other hand, I can say things like "Hey, I like the idea of a
> Steampunk Gundam" as well as "But that's already been done in Sakura Wars
> and Kishin Corps", or "I like the idea of a post-apocalyptic 1800s world",
> but then say "But I liked it better when it was called LAPUTA!", and then
> I could say "I like the idea of moon people coming down to reclaim their
> homeland", as well as "Gee, I didn't see that coming in an anime Gundam
> show"... so there are alot of things that can be said either way. Shrug.

Hehe, good ones, you could also see it as some "Please Save my Gundam" I
guess. What might turn out to be quite interesting is the fact there
will be most likely no colonies.

I think Tomino is either totally screwing it or he has something on his
mind. I'd rather choose the latter: actually, the show might not *look*
like gundam but it might still have its taste and that's the essential,
recapturing Gundam's very essence, what it's all about and it *might*
(strong emphasis) the most gundamesque show we've seen in years.
Please also note that's the only way to create a new setting for the
series; Tomino might just be saving Gundam's future in a way: I don't
think people will still be satisfied with that "colonies attack Earth,
try to drop stuff on it, Earth retaliates, Gundam saves the day" scheme
in 20 years (mind you, it's worked so far).

Now, that's speculation! :-)

> I guess we'll just have to see. Frankly, I _do_ believe in the sign of
> Tomino... well, at least I did before "Brainpowerd". From what I've heard
> of that dismal show, and from the quote of Tomino who said that the gundam
> series will be like the end of that show, I've got a funny feeling about
> this!

Well, as for Brainpowerd, maybe the anime sucks but I can't say I don't
like the manga, which is more Tomino's work than the anime (come on,
naked girls in the opening!)

Djallel