Re: [gundam] Turn A Gundam Art

Richie Ramos (gaijin@i-manila.com.ph)
Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:15:59 +0800

> But what IS gratifying is to see that the gundam art is a simply
>line-drawing colored up by Syd the Sqyd, and not the fnished model CGI
>work that I was worrying about... i.e., there's still hope that
>Super-Katoki man will fly in on his glorious white Tallgeese and save the
>day at the end!

        I bet. it would be a damn shame if it were just that...makes a great toy,
but as a kit? nahhh!

> As for the Gundam designs themselves, I mean, there are _elements_ of
>the designs that are kinda neat, but there are elements of the designs
>that are just completely stupid looking as well. The Gundam's gun looks
>more like the front of the new Yamato then a real weapon. The Gundam's
>legs look like legs off of a valkyrie or one of those old '80s robots,
>its chest looks simply dumb and blocky, utterly ungundamy...

        I think this is what happens when anime sensibilities are interpreted by a
true western point of view...they remind mer of some of the designs from
battletech, actually.

> The background robots are equally dumb, disproportionate and distorted,
>as if the artist has no conception of depth-of-field, proper perspective,
>or how to do realistic proportions! Now we all know that Syd the Sqyd gets
>paid the big bucks, so the only option we have is to believe that he
>simply isn't taking this whole Gundam thing very seriously. I dunno. I
>just get a real sinking feeling whenever I see anything associated with
>this new series, worse than I got even from Gundam-X!
> -Probe

        It couldn't be that bad...at least the suits from Gundam X are pretty
nice, and that the kits are some of the most obsessive about panel-lines....

"Magic is the hand of faith..."

Richard Ramos
Svengali, Artificer and Spellcrafter
ICQ#12914919