Re: [gundam] Gundam in the US!?!?!

Chris Beilby (cbeilby@earthlink.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:00:17 -0800

> > Remember in the mid-80s when someone bought
> > the Robotech liscence and a bunch of old Bandai models, and released
> > them? It was a successful (if short-lived) venture on their part. Heck,
> > my *first* mecha model was "Condar" from Robotech (in reality, some
> > meach from Dougram...)!
>
> Actually, that _was_ Robotech. Revell licensed a whole bunch of robot kits
> from Takara, Imai, and/or Arii, and to "brand" the kits they created the
> name Robotech for them. Then came the DC "Robotech Defenders" comic
> (which featured the models), then the TV series (which didn't feature many
> of the models), and it went downhill (or uphill) from there.

The Robotech Defenders line was basically made up entirely of the Dougram
mecha. The Robotech line did have the 1/72 scale transforming Valkyrie kits
from Imaii, but they were titled something else other than Robotech
Defenders. It was the licensing of the Valkyrie kits by Revell, combined with
the fact that Macross was only 36 episodes long, that caused the genesis of
Robotech the TV series.