Re: [gundam] Gundam in the US!?!?!

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:17:40 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Mark Nguyen wrote:
> Dude, I've been building Star Trek and Star Wars models ever since I was
> old enough to know that you don't eat the glue! :) Granted, those were
> movies and TV series, but I hardly think kids *don't* model when they're
> young.

Yeah, but dude, there are a lot of kids who genuinely sucked at it (myself
included). I couldn't see successfully putting together a Master Grade kit
unless I was at least 12 years old.

> Anyway, I think that the domestic release of these models will be to
> distributors that would normally carry such models anyway, and perhaps
> to a few extra beyond that.

Actually, Gundam models and toys have been in domestic release for quite
some time. Previews has been soliciting them for over five years. I can't
imagine they sell well, though.

It's such a limited market in the US, I can't see Gundam models selling on
a regular basis outside of specialty channels (i.e. comic stores), but
that's just my view. I think that if they want any chance of breaking into
1999's core toy audience (i.e. kids with Phantom Menace figures dancing in
their heads), they should go with the smaller toys first, like the MSIPs,
or even the cheaper Yutaka V-Gundam toys.

> Remember in the mid-80s when someone bought
> the Robotech liscence and a bunch of old Bandai models, and released
> them? It was a successful (if short-lived) venture on their part. Heck,
> my *first* mecha model was "Condar" from Robotech (in reality, some
> meach from Dougram...)!

Actually, that _was_ Robotech. Revell licensed a whole bunch of robot kits
from Takara, Imai, and/or Arii, and to "brand" the kits they created the
name Robotech for them. Then came the DC "Robotech Defenders" comic
(which featured the models), then the TV series (which didn't feature many
of the models), and it went downhill (or uphill) from there.

---
Roger Harkavy
harkavyr@planet.net
http://www.planet.net/pharkavyr/