Re: [gundam] A few Questions

Paul Lampshire (gbc76@dial.pipex.com)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:21:05 -0000

>In a message dated 2/16/99 3:24:08 PM Mountain Standard Time,
>BlazeEagle@aol.com writes:
>
><< How come a Gundam doesn't crush concrete when it walks over concrete?
One
> would think that something as big and heavy as an MS would crush or sink
in
> concrete or grass covered ground. Also, how come in Wing, you see the
Gundams
> "skating" across the ground with the feet Jets? Can other Gundams do this
> also?
>
> Aaron >>
>
>The surface area of a Gundams (or any 18 meter robot) is huge.

I remember in a discussion on UMAA where this came up, and using my weight
at the time [100Kg] and a pair of my boots to get a baseline, and using the
MG RX78-2 for the Gundam, I worked out that it has a ground pressure 3 times
what mine would have been.

Now, a Dom, OTOH has enormous feet, and if it's about the same weight as the
RX78-2 would have a ground pressure *less* than mine...

I'll try and dig out the figures at some point...

>There is a far
>lower ground pressure under a Gundam's feet than under a semi's 18 wheels,
or
>a woman's high heel. so, while Gundams should leave deep foot prints or
scrape
>marks from the sharp edges of their treads, there is no reason for them to
>sink to their knees when walking across soft ground or braking concrete and
>asphalt.

It also depends how fast their feet are moving when they hit the ground.
Ground pressure really only applies when it's standing still. What's the
walking speed of a Gundam?