Re: [gundam] Turn A Gundam Art

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 14:05:16 -0700 (MST)

> > Gives me a "File Not Found", wierd!
> Hm... yep. Evidently they've taken the page down.

  Maybe they got a "Cease and Desist" order from the Bandai Gestapo?

> Well, I feel kinda naughty circumventing their apparent intentions, but
> you can still see the individual images... ;-)

  Excellent, that works!
  Hrm! There's something about the character designs here that seems to
scream out "Sound of Music" or something like that, a little too
retro-1800's or something!
  But what IS gratifying is to see that the gundam art is a simply
line-drawing colored up by Syd the Sqyd, and not the fnished model CGI
work that I was worrying about... i.e., there's still hope that
Super-Katoki man will fly in on his glorious white Tallgeese and save the
day at the end!

  As for the Gundam designs themselves, I mean, there are _elements_ of
the designs that are kinda neat, but there are elements of the designs
that are just completely stupid looking as well. The Gundam's gun looks
more like the front of the new Yamato then a real weapon. The Gundam's
legs look like legs off of a valkyrie or one of those old '80s robots,
its chest looks simply dumb and blocky, utterly ungundamy...

  The background robots are equally dumb, disproportionate and distorted,
as if the artist has no conception of depth-of-field, proper perspective,
or how to do realistic proportions! Now we all know that Syd the Sqyd gets
paid the big bucks, so the only option we have is to believe that he
simply isn't taking this whole Gundam thing very seriously. I dunno. I
just get a real sinking feeling whenever I see anything associated with
this new series, worse than I got even from Gundam-X!

                                                                -Probe