Re: [gundam] One Forall & All For Nought!

dyar@halcyon.com
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:36:10 -0800

At 08:33 2/16/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Does anyone know how to remove IE 4.0 from a computer, short of
>reformating
>the harddrive and completely reinstalling the system?

1. Double-click My Computer

2. Double-click Drive C

3. Double-click Program Files

4. Double-click Internet Explorer

5. Double-click Setup

6. Double-click Setup.EXE

7. Confirm that you wish to remove IE

Alternatively, click Start, then Run, and enter:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\Setup.exe"

and confirm that you wish to remove IE.

I didn't mean to start Browser Wars here, I was just pointing out that Your
Mileage May Vary with regard to the Turn-A/For All symbol, depending on
what browser you're using.

I've now determined that it's not Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator
per se, but rather some combination of plug-ins (or lack thereof) and the
operating system that determine whether the browser will parse certain
non-standard characters.

I found that I couldn't see the Turn-A/For All symbol with either browser
from work. Those systems were running either Windows 95 or NT 4.0 with
both IE 4.0 and Netscape Communicator 4.0 installed. Some had IE as the
default browser and some had Netscape as the default, but *none* of them
parsed Turn-A.

Now, none of them had any languages packs other than Western English,
either. Now me, I've got Baltic Alphabet, Central European, Chinese
(Simplified and Traditional), Cyrillic, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Turkish
Alphabet and Universal Alphabet (UTF-8) installed. I'm also running
Windows 98, which really *does* have more browser capability built into it
than Windows 95 or NT -- witness the "Web Page" and "Thumbnail" views in
Windows Explorer.

It may be that you need one or another of these extras to parse Turn-A.
I'll let you all know when I figure out what the magic formula is.
Meanwhile, you can see everything on the Mobile Suit Gundam: High Frontier
web page with no troubale at all. You'll either see the Turn-A or a
question mark or open box where the Turn-A should be.

While I was tweaking the code, I added a Gundam 20th Anniversary logo at
the top of the page and a Z Gundam wallpaper to the background. It's
starting to look like a Web page now.

I'd appreciate a rundown from those of you who can see the Turn-A as to
what you're using: browser, plug-ins, OS, etc. Maybe the I can determine
the common denominator and maybe figure out how to make the character
visible to all.

-Z-