Re: [gundam] Even more Tomino interview

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:40:38 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Chien Ting Chin wrote:
> I don't know how to take this. Could it be that the Japanese sponsors are
> so dumb that they won't let a proven winner go off and do his own thing
> (and trusting that the doughs will roll from)?

"Dumb" isn't the right word. "Cautious" is more appropriate. Japanese
executives (ultimately the ones who make the final business decisions in
any industry in any country) are very reluctant to embrace change when it
comes to marketing new types of products (in this case, TV shows). If they
find a formula that works, they stick with it.

That's why we've had almost 25 continuous years of robot cartoons.

The wishes of a TV screenwriter/producer have very little importance in
the commercial scheme of things in Japan. Tomino's not the only one to be
treated this way. Look at Go Nagai (Mazinga Z creator), who got
pigeonholed the same way, and burned out big-time by the time the 80s
rolled around.

If Todd McFarlane worked for a Japanese corporation, he'd still be drawing
Spider-Man in eight different comics for the same pay, and would never be
able to afford that jillion-dollar home run ball.

It's sad, but true.

> [Please don't give me any more "they do whatever that makes money" lines.
> There are ample examples of the contrary in both Japanese and Western
> bussiness world]

Did my explanation help any?

---
Roger Harkavy