Re: [gundam] Even more Tomino interview

Roger Harkavy (harkavyr@pandora.planet.net)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:30:59 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Prabal Nandy wrote:
> But it still really bothers me that they're re-writing gundam, or trying
> to 're-invent' the original. Sheesh, give it a rest and do something
> post-VG or something... why this endless re-hashing!

Let's see what folks think about this...

On the subject of "re-inventing" and "re-hashing", I'm going to refrain
from speculating on the new show since we don't know much about it.
However, take a look at all of the Gundam series and movies hat Tomino was
involved with (Original G, Zeta, ZZ, CCA, F91, V) and see if it doesn't
fit into this premise:

Earth and Colonies have irreconcilable differences. They fight with big
robots. Protagonist, young male age 14 to 19 gets swept up into the
conflict and becomes ace pilot in the process.

With the exception of CCA which is really more of an end-cap to Char and
Amuro's tale begun in Original Gundam, everything Gundam with Tomino's
signature on it falls into this mold pretty solidly and what I would term
a "re-hash".

Am I being overly critical? Perhaps. Do I still love the show? You betcha.

For me it's not so much the what and the why that interests me, it's the
who. I've always thought that Tomino was excellent at creating a dozen
characters on either side of a conflict that you REALLY CARED about, and
that's what I'm hoping for this time around. I think he did it well with
Zeta and Victory within the Gundam franchise, not to mention non-Gundam
shows like L-Gaim and Dunbine.

It would be nice if this show breaks the mold that he's set down, but even
if it doesn't, I think he's still going to surprise us somehow. Have some
faith in the guy.

(Hey, at least I'm not taking the ultra-pessimist view: it doesn't matter
who's doing the fighting. in the end, the winner is always Bandai.)

---
Roger Harkavy
harkavyr@planet.net
http://www.planet.net/pharkavyr/