Re: [gundam] Even more Tomino interview

HenryHill1@aol.com
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 22:17:18 EST

>>Yes! Let's have more Tomino and less Gundam. (when will I see
>>Gasaraki???)

I get to see Gasaraki this weekend along with the Endless Waltz movie and
Miller's Report (assuming they are not checked out)!

>>We had Godzilla and Ultraman, we had UFO and Aliens, we had Gundam, we had
>>Star Wars. But what's new in the 90's? We got neo-Godzilla, neo-Gundam,
>>neo-Starship Troops, neo-Star Wars, neo-Brady Bunch...

The same thing goes for anime.
Dirty Pair-->Dirty Pair Flash
Macross-->Macross 2, Plus, and 7
Silent Mobius movies-->the tv series
Lodoss War OAVs-->the tv series
 and so on....

At least Cowboy Bebop was good.

>>How about Ghost in the Shell, it's very 90ish: fast paced (cyber-paced),
>>amoral, packs a good philosophical punch. Can that becomes a 90's or 00's
>>franchise?

I don't think it could because it doesn't have the same emotional impact as tv
series like Yamato, Gundam, and many of the 80s shows which are being redone
in the 90s.

>>Ironically enough, it's _Evangeleon_ which is the recent anime show that
>>Thanks for bringing this up again Probe :) And thanks to many list
>>members for forcing me to finish the series :) After seeing the end, I
>>think that it build up to a really great tension and then sputtered
>>hmmm....
< SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >

>>Unless... did I miss anything? The tapes ended with Shinji exclaiming "I
>>am myself" or "I think therefore I am" or "I am the King" or something and
>>that's it? Was there supposed to be a tape 14? What about those Bandai
>>white mass production winged EVA models? I didn't see any of them in the
>>13 tapes. Hmm I just went to www.advfilms.com and read the synopsis for
>>tape 13, it still doesn't make sense (how can they claim that third impact
>>had occured?).

There are two movies (Death and Rebirth, End of Evangelion) that came out that
are supposed to replace ep. 13 and 14.
The white ones come in Rebirth and are very cool bird-like Evas.

Sorry for the off topic stuff,
Josh

I actually like those metaphysical / Buddhist ramblings a lot, but what
does that have to do with the first 24 episodes of the series?! There
were so many IMPORTANT questions left dangling... I feel a very strong
urge to finish the story off for them... If only I can develop an idea to
tie the philosophy back to the actual events...