Re: [gundam] A few Questions

Prabal Nandy (nandy@U.Arizona.EDU)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:04:55 -0700 (MST)

> The surface area of a Gundams (or any 18 meter robot) is huge. There is a far
> lower ground pressure under a Gundam's feet than under a semi's 18 wheels, or

  That's not true at all!
  The problem is that a Gundam is basically a "Scale-10" human in
size/shape. I.e., the volume has increased by 1000, while the surface
_area_ of the foot has increased only by 100. Hence, by very rough math,
the Gundam has 10 times the foot pressure of a human being.

  Now, what that means is that it's the equivalent of 1500lb people
walking everywhere. Though this is way higher than regular people's foot
pressure, It's probably on the order of a heavily loaded jeep or cargo van
or even a construction vehicle or 18-wheeler. So it's not necessarily a
given that a Gundam should be tearing up asphalt as it walks, but it
certainly would be sinking a little ways into soil and other surfaces like
that.

  But also remember, if a Gundam sinks one foot into the dirt, it's in
human-scale-terms as if you sank a little over an inch into the muck. That
kind of thing happens all the time and you can still walk (Assuming you're
wearing boots). So naturally, so can the Gundam!

                                                                -Probe