Re: [gundam] Even more Tomino interview

Kota Fujimura (fujimura@andrew.cmu.edu)
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 02:17:40 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, Prabal Nandy wrote:

> > * He wanted to do different projects, such as WW2-themed one or one
that

> You mean like Kishin Corps?

I'm not sure if he wanted to do a robot show in that setting. He did
start out in series like "Triton of the Sea", which is non-mecha.

> > takes in medieval Japan, but sponsers didn't let him. So he ended up
>
> You mean like Gasaraki (or any number of other animes).

Gasaraki doesn't take place in medieval age (or most of it, anyway).

> > making Gundam, thinking "do I have to do this again?"
> > * He finally decided to accept the stereotype "Tomino=Gundam"
>
> No choice really, though he did work on L.Gaim, right? And also ABD!

Both titles are done before Zeta.

> > * New series will focus on emotion, and idea that will destroy the
> > industrial society today (or something like that...)
>
> That sounds odd to me... I really hope we're not going to have another
> Macross on our hands here, i.e., "Destroy EVIL with the power of LOVE and
> JPOP MUSICAA ATTAAAKKARRRRUUUU!"

That will be the death of Gundam, but I don't think that's the case for
Turn-A.

Kota